Learn about the role of community helpers in a town.
Tell the children they are going to explore what it is like to be a community helper.
Discuss that community helpers are people who help people who live in the same area. Explain that firefighters and police officers are community helpers. And that a community has many helpers, such as workers who mow the grass, government officials who make the laws, and workers who
collect the garbage and recycling. Tell the children that everyone plays an
important role in making their community a nice place to live.
Show the photographs of the LEGO® DUPLO® models for Activity 3.
Consider asking questions like:
- What is happening in these pictures?
- Can you think of someone else who helps the people in your community or town? What does he or she do?
- Tell the children they are going to build a scene that shows community helpers doing their work.
- Divide the children into pairs.
- Give each pair a LEGO DUPLO figure and tell them to build something that shows the figure helping people in the community.
- Allow the children to use the Multi Vehicles Set.
Ask each pair of children to tell about their community helper and their model. Consider asking questions like:
- What is your community helper called?
- How does he or she help the community?
- What would happen if the community helper were not a part of the town?
Tell children to role-play situations in which the LEGO DUPLO figures need help. Encourage them to act out scenarios with problems and solutions. Consider asking questions like:
- What does your person need help with?
- Which community helper would be able to solve the problem?
- Which community helper would you like to be? Why?
Unterstützung für Lehrkräfte
Children will :
Begin to understand what kinds of community helpers are in a town, and what they do.
For up to 8 children
Children are able to name community workers and tell about their roles.