Gravity Car Derby
Soap Box Derby
- What is a soapbox car race?
- Which force makes the car roll down the hill?
- Which force makes the car slow down?
- Building instructions book ‘B’, pages 88 - 102
- Place your car at the top of the ramp and let it go! Give it a push if it does not move.
- What happens to the car?
- What happens to the driver?
- Which forces are at work?
- Add 4 wheels to your car.
- Predict how far it will go.
- Use a brick to mark where you think it will stop.
- Write your prediction in the ‘?’ column.
- Test your car. Were you right?
- In the other column, write down the actual distance that your car travelled.
- Experiment with different wheel sizes.
- Predict how far your car will go with each wheel size and test to see if you were right!
- Which wheels make your car go the farthest?
- What happens if you add the weighted brick?
What did you see?
- Which forces did you observe?
- Which ‘mod’ made your car travel the farthest?