Make a Sorting Machine
Design, build and program a machine that can identify at least three different colours of LEGO® elements and sort them into separate locations.
Think about these questions:
- Which colours will you sort?
- Which element sizes will you sort?
- Which type of motorised mechanism is able to move these elements?
- How can the machine sense different locations?
- What design features will ensure that the machine’s movements are accurate and repeatable?
Use typed notes, a handwritten lab notebook, sketches, photos, screenshots or videos to document your design process. Make sure to explain:
- Any challenges that you are facing.
- How you are working to overcome these challenges.
- The resources that you need.
- Ways in which your classmates or teacher can help you.
- Any early signs of success that you are observing.
Communicate the results of your work by:
- Creating a video that demonstrates your design process starting with your initial ideas and ending with your completed project
- Creating a presentation that connects your projects with real-world applications of similar systems
Ask for feedback and conduct a self-assessment Use the evaluation tools that your teacher has provided.