Make a Speed Control System
Design a cruise control system that changes the speed of a vehicle when a button is pressed.
Think about these questions:
• What is the purpose of cruise control in a car?
• How does cruise control assist the driver during long journeys?
• How would a driver use a touch button speed control system?
• What elements must be included in your program in order to turn button presses into motor speed changes?
Start by building a vehicle. You may use any of the suggested LEGO® MINDSTORMS EV3 Driving Base models or design your own model. Make sure to include buttons that simulate the buttons that are found on the steering wheel of a car with cruise control.
Create a cruise control program for your robot, like the ones that are found in many cars today. Your robot should be able to:
• Increase or decrease speed in increments of ten when the Touch Sensors are pressed
• Show the vehicle’s speed (motor power) on the EV3 Brick Display
Document your initial ideas. Decide how you will evaluate these ideas in order to pick the best one(s) for your project. Share with a classmate or your teacher why you chose this solution.
Communicate the results of your work by:
• Creating a video demonstrating your design process starting with your initial ideas and ending with your completed project
• Creating a presentation that connects your project with real-world applications of similar systems
Ask for feedback and conduct a self-assessment. Use the evaluation tools that your teacher has provided.