Secure the Power Supply
What’s a *solar array*?
Solar arrays consist of multiple solar panels. They’re useful as a power supply for space exploration.
What are the strengths and weaknesses of using solar arrays as a power supply for the Mars Outpost?
All of the systems are offline!
Set up the Solar Panel so the that Mars Outpost will have enough power to get the systems up and running. This place will be our future home!
Think about ways in which the robot could unfold the Solar Panel.
Brainstorm ideas for solving the mission.
You can split the main task into smaller subtasks, and brainstorm about questions like:
- What are some ways in which the robot could navigate to the Solar Panel?
- Which type of motorised mechanism could be used to rotate the handle?
Build, program and test your robot.
Continue working on your robot until you’re ready to complete the mission.
The four levels of badges that you can earn for this mission are:
You’ve unfolded the Solar Panel, and it stays in an upright position. Power will soon be flowing to the Mars Outpost! You also went beyond the mission requirements by adding features to your design. Great job!
You’ve unfolded the Solar Panel, and it stays in an upright position. Power will soon be flowing to the Mars Outpost! You’ve helped us turn this from a cold and remote outpost into a home for the future. Thank you!
You’ve managed to unfold the Solar Panel but it won’t stay in an upright position. This means that power is flowing to the Mars Outpost but not as much as we’d like. Some of our systems will have to be powered down for a while, but thanks for your hard work!
The Solar Panel hasn’t been unfolded but you certainly gave this mission a real go. You deserve credit for your effort! We’ll have to stay in the shuttle for a while longer while we figure out what to do next. Good try, though!
Go for it!
Set up your robot in the base area and send it out for a judged attempt at this mission.
Remember to follow these rules as you’re attempting to complete the mission:
- Your robot must always start the mission from the base area.
- Your robot must leave the base area before carrying out the mission.
- A ‘successful robot return’ occurs when any part of the robot crosses over any part of the base area line.
- You’re not allowed to touch your robot while it’s outside of the base area.
- If you touch your robot while it’s entirely outside of the base area and it’s holding an object, the object must be returned to its original position, and you must begin the mission again.
How did you do?
Which badge did you achieve? If you have enough time, you can try again for a better result.
Power is flowing to the outpost… and you’re on to your next mission!