The Guided Mission 2022-23
Coach your team through a real FIRST® LEGO® League mission and prepare them for the challenges to come!
- Read through the pupil material in the LEGO® Education SPIKE™ App.
- To complete this lesson, your pupils should build the Driving Base with Colour Sensor.
2. Engage (10 min.)
- Use the ideas in the Ignite a Discussion section below to engage your pupils in a discussion related to this lesson.
- Use the video to explain the lesson.
3. Explore (30 min.)
- Ask them to set up the Guided Mission model on the game field.
- Have them follow the instructions to write a program to drive their robot to the model and activate it.
4. Explain (10 min.)
- Facilitate a discussion about the key functionalities of the robot in triggering the model to raise the connector.
5. Elaborate (40 min.)
Have each team practice lining up their robot and sending it on a mission to activate the model.
- Ask if they noticed anything they should be especially aware of for mission (e.g. it starts in the left launch area and ends in the right launch area, it passes other missions on the way).
- Prompt a discussion on what they have learned about following lines that could help them access other missions.
- Don’t forget to leave some time for clean-up.
- Give feedback on each pupil’s performance.
- To simplify the process, you can use the assessment rubrics that have been provided.
Ignite a Discussion
Use these questions to engage your pupils in a discussion about how they can use what they’ve already learned to successfully complete this mission:
- What’s the robot doing?
- How does the robot reach the model?
- How does the robot activate the model?
- What’s the ideal balance between speed and accuracy for this mission?
Have your pupils watch the video to see what they’re about to do.
Setting Up the Guided Mission Model
Share these tips with your pupils as they’re setting up the model:
- Check the Robot Game Rulebook for the correct position of the model on the mat.
- Make sure the model is built correctly and operates as it should.
- Carefully apply the Dual Lock and correctly position the model on the mat.
Simplify this lesson by:
- Review Training Camp 3 lesson plan, which explains the different ways to use the Colour Sensor to follow a line (e.g. colour mode or Reflected Light Intensity mode.)
Take this lesson to the next level by:
- Change the program to start from the right launch area.
- Assigning another one of this year’s FIRST LEGO League challenges to be done before or after this mission.
Teacher Observation Checklist
Create a scale that suits your needs, for example:
- Partially accomplished
- Fully accomplished
Use the following success criteria to evaluate your pupils’ progress:
- Pupils worked well as a team to complete the mission.
- Pupils worked together as a team to complete more missions in the same run.
- Pupils can present their robot, program and mission strategy, explaining how they’ve successfully completed each mission.
Have each pupil choose the brick that they feel best represents their performance.
- Blue: I’ve successfully completed one mission.
- Yellow: I’ve successfully completed more than one mission.
- Violet: Along with my team, I’ve presented our robot, program and mission strategy to our coach with each team member participating.
Encourage your pupils to provide feedback to one another by:
Having one pupil use the coloured brick scale above to score another pupil’s performance.
- Asking them to present constructive feedback to each other so that they can improve their group’s performance during the next lesson.
Language Arts Extension
To incorporate the development of literacy skills:
- Have your pupils prepare and deliver a presentation about how they developed an effective strategy for completing the mission in the shortest amount of time.
Note: This will make for a longer lesson.
The pupils who enjoyed this lesson might be interested in exploring these career pathways:
- Manufacturing and Engineering (Pre-Engineering)
- Information Technology (Computer Programming)
- Complete their first FIRST® LEGO® League mission
- Have their robot interact with the game field
LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime Set
FIRST® LEGO League Challenge Set
Download, view or share as an online HTML page or a printable PDF.