The Guided Mission 2021-22
Coach your team through a FIRST LEGO League mission and prepare for the challenges that lie ahead!
- Read through the pupil material in the LEGO® Education SPIKE™ App.
- To complete this lesson, your pupils should build the Driving Base with Colour Sensor.
2. Engage (10 Min.)
- Use the ideas in the Ignite a Discussion section below to engage your pupils in a discussion related to this lesson.
- Use the video to explain the lesson.
3. Explore (30 Min.)
- Ask them to set up the Guided Mission model on the game field.
- Have them follow the instructions to write a program to drive their robot to the model and activate it.
4. Explain (10 Min.)
- Facilitate a discussion about the key functionalities of the robot in triggering the model to release the package.
5. Elaborate (40 Min.)
- Have each team practice lining up their robot and sending it on a mission to activate the model.
- Ask whether they’ve noticed anything to be especially aware of during this mission (e.g. it’s over the far side of the field, it passes other missions on the way).
- Prompt a discussion about what they’ve learned about following lines that could help them in accessing other missions.
- Don’t forget to leave some time for clean-up.
- Give feedback on each pupil’s performance.
- In order to simplify the process, you can use the assessment rubrics that have been provided.
Ignite a Discussion
Use these questions to engage your pupils in a discussion about how they can use what they’ve already learned to successfully complete this mission:
- What’s the robot doing?
- How does the robot reach the model?
- How does the robot activate the model?
- What’s the ideal balance between speed and accuracy for this mission?
Have your pupils watch the video to see what they’re about to do.
Setting Up the Guided Mission Model
Share these tips with your pupils as they’re setting up the model:
- Check the Robot Game Rulebook for the correct position of the model on the mat.
- Make sure the model is built correctly and operates as it should.
- Carefully apply the Dual Lock and correctly position the model on the mat.
Simplify this lesson by:
- Focusing on the robot’s accuracy in following the line to reach the mission.
- Solving one part of the mission with your pupils as a group.
Take this lesson to the next level by:
- Challenging your pupils to follow other lines on the game field.
- Assigning another one of this year’s FIRST LEGO League challenges to be done before or after this mission.
Teacher Observation Checklist
Create a scale that suits your needs, for example:
- Partially accomplished
- Fully accomplished
Use the following success criteria to evaluate your pupils’ progress:
- Pupils worked well as a team to complete the mission.
- Pupils worked together as a team to complete more missions in the same run.
- Pupils can present their robot, program and mission strategy, explaining how they’ve successfully completed each mission.
Have each pupil choose the brick that they feel best represents their performance.
- Blue: I’ve successfully completed one mission.
- Yellow: I’ve successfully completed more than one mission.
- Violet: Along with my team, I’ve presented our robot, program and mission strategy to our coach with each team member participating.
Encourage your pupils to provide feedback to one another by:
- Having one pupil score the performance of another using the coloured brick scale above
- Asking them to present constructive feedback to each other so that they can improve their group’s performance during the next lesson
Language Arts Extension
To incorporate the development of language arts skills:
- Have your pupils prepare and deliver a presentation about how they developed an effective strategy for completing the mission in the shortest amount of time.
Note: This will require additional time.
The pupils who enjoyed this lesson might be interested in exploring these career pathways:
- Manufacturing and Engineering (Pre-Engineering)
- Information Technology (Computer Programming)
- Complete their first FIRST^®^ LEGO^®^ League mission
- Have their robot interact with the game field
Download, view or share as an online HTML page or a printable PDF.