Make a System That Picks and Places
Design, build and program a robotic system that can pick up the Cuboid from one location and place it in another location.
Discuss different solutions to the design brief.
• What kind of motorized mechanism can be used to pick up the Cuboid?
• How can the robot move the Cuboid?
• How can the robot place the Cuboid in another location carefully and accurately?
Select the Best Solution
Describe the solution that you have agreed to build and program.
Think about examples from your brainstorming discussion. Then explain why you chose this solution for the design brief.
Build and Program
Now you are ready to start building and programming your solution!
As you work on your solution:
- Describe one part of your design that worked especially well.
- Describe one design change that you had to make.
- What will you try next?
As you test your design solution, use the table for recording your findings.
Test and Analyze
How well does your solution satisfy the design brief? Record your data. Name the columns and rows, such as Trial Number, Expected position, Actual position, Difference and Changes.
Review and Revise
Take a moment to reflect on your robot solution.
• Can the robot’s movement be made more accurate?
• What are some ways that others have solved the problem?
Describe two ways you could improve your robot.
Here are some ideas:
• Create a video of your project, especially your final presentation and your robot’s performance.
• Explain some important features of your software program.
• Produce a building guide for your model by taking a series of photographs as you deconstruct it.
• Include an image of your program with comments.
• Add a team photograph!
Congratulations! What will you design next?