Make It Move In A Pattern
Design, build and program a robot that can move itself in a pattern that forms a repeatable shape.
Discuss different solutions to the design brief.
How will you control the movement of the robot in a pattern? For example,
• Will the robot move forward and/or backward?
• Will the robot turn right and/ or left?
How will you program the robot to turn at different angles?
What steps does a robot need to follow to move in a pattern such as a triangle, square, octagon or star?
Select the Best Solution
Describe the solution that you have agreed to build and program.
Think about examples from your brainstorming discussion. Then explain why you chose this solution for the design brief.
Build and Program
Now you are ready to start building and programming your solution!
As you work on your solution:
- Describe one part of your design that worked especially well.
- Describe one design change that you had to make.
- What will you try next?
As you test your design solution, use the table for recording your findings.
Test and Analyze
How well does your solution satisfy the design brief? Record your data. Name the columns and rows, such as Trial Number, Moved in Correct Pattern?, and Observations.
Review and Revise
Take a moment to reflect on your robot solution.
• Can you control the movement of the robot in a precise way?
• Does repeating movements more or fewer times affect the accuracy?
Describe two ways you could improve your robot.
Here are some ideas:
• Create a video of your project, especially your final presentation and your robot’s performance.
• Explain some important features of your software program.
• Produce a building guide for your model by taking a series of photographs as you deconstruct it.
• Include an image of your program with comments.
• Add a team photograph!
Congratulations! What will you design next?