WeDo 2.0 uses Bluetooth Low Energy
An Introduction to Bluetooth Low Energy
Bluetooth low energy, or BLE, is a recent version of the Bluetooth standard (4.0). BLE allows physical objects to exchange data wirelessly, everything from smartphones to thermostats, watches to cars. These types of smart embedded devices are collectively known as the ‘Internet of Things’.
The benefits of Bluetooth low energy technology include:
- Efficient – BLE devices consume significantly less power than earlier versions of Bluetooth
- Small – BLE technology can be integrated into almost any device, regardless of size
- Fast – BLE devices communicate extremely quickly with no discernible delay
Real or potential everyday applications of integrated Bluetooth low energy include:
- Monitors that transmit your heart rate/blood pressure to your smart watch as you exercise
- Proximity sensors that trigger targeted in-store notifications as you shop
- Key chains that help you find your lost keys
How LEGO® Education WeDo 2.0 uses Bluetooth Low Energy Technology
WeDo 2.0 is about igniting your students’ desire to learn while enhancing their skills in science, engineering, technology, and computing. The WeDo 2.0 Smarthub featuring BLE technology lets your students build a rover, dragster, helicopter and other fascinating models, and then use the WeDo 2.0 software to take ‘live’ control of their creations for the best-possible learning experience.
To take advantage of this feature and to ensure the best-possible WeDo 2.0 experience, your desktop, laptop or tablet device must meet a minimum set of system requirements.
For more information you can also find answers to other frequently asked questions.