A Tour of the Town
Understand what can be seen during a tour of the town, and how a town can be unique.
Tell the children they are going to build a landmark. Explain that a landmark is an important place that tourists like to visit. Tell the children that tourists are people who travel to different places. Explain that landmarks include statues, fountains, buildings, bridges, and natural landforms (e.g., the Grand Canyon). Give examples such as the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France; the huge clock called ‘Big Ben’ in London, England; and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, United States. Tell children that smaller places also have landmarks, such as sculptures and parks. Talk to the children about what is interesting in their town.
Show the photograph of the LEGO® DUPLO® models for Activity 10.
Consider asking questions like:
- What do you see in the picture? (Explain that the people on the bus are taking atour of the town shown in the picture. Point out the tall buildings, the fountain, and the park.)
- What special places would you invite tourists to see?
- Tell the children that they need to plan a tour of their own town, and help themagree on which places to build.
- They can also create a new landmark, such as an art museum or an amusement park for their town.
- Divide the children into pairs and ask each pair to build either a place that exists or a place they imagine.
Create a space where the children can combine all of their models. Ask each pair of children to present their landmark and tell what they know about it. If they have made up a new landmark, then they should also create a history for it. Consider asking questions like:
- Why is your landmark important to the town?
- Why would a tourist want to visit the landmark?
- What would you tell a tourist about the landmark?
Ask each pair of children to build a means of transportation for touring the town. Tell them to use the LEGO DUPLO figures to role-play giving (and taking) a tour of their town. Ask them to take turns introducing the different places and showing the reactions of the tourists.
Ondersteuning voor de leraar
Children will :
Begin to understand what makes towns different and interesting to visit as a tourist.
For up to 8 children.
Children are able to name interesting places in their town and understand what a tour is like.