My Extended Family
Learn about the difference between family and extended family and what it means to have a family.
Tell the children they are going to build family gatherings.Explain that a family is a group of people who are related to each other. Explain that relatives such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are extended family. Mention that friends can also be like extended family, especially for people who do not have many people who are related to them (relatives).
Show the photograph of the LEGO® DUPLO® models for Activity 11.
Consider asking questions like:
- What is happening in the picture? (If needed, explain that the scene in the picture is a family gathering, or get-together. Tell children it looks like they are having a barbeque.)
- Who is in the picture? (If needed, point out that there is a grandmother, grandfather, mother, father, son, daughter, baby, and some other family members who could be aunts, uncles, cousins, or friends.)
- How often do you see your extended family? Do you have family members who live in different towns, states, or countries? What do you do with your extended family? (If needed, give examples, such as celebrate birthdays and holidays, eat food, play games, listen to music, and talk.)
- Tell the children that they need to plan a family gathering for their family and extended family.
- Ask them to think about where they would have the gathering, who would be there, what everyone would do, and what they would bring.
- Divide the children into pairs and ask each pair to work together to build a scene of a family gathering.
Ask each pair of children to present their scene. Ask the other children to tell what they like about each family gathering scene. After the presentations, give the children some time to improve their scenes. Encourage them to trade and share elements. Consider asking questions like:
- Where is the family gathering? Who is at the family gathering? What is everyonedoing?
- Does anyone have an idea for how we can make this scene even more interesting?
In their pairs, ask the children to use LEGO DUPLO figures to role-play visiting the other family gatherings.
Ondersteuning voor de leraar
Children will :
Begin to understand what it means to have a family, and the difference between close relatives and extended family.
For up to 8 children.
Children are able to understand the difference between family and extended family, and will be able to talk about family gatherings.