Product Resources & Support
LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential ResourcesGo to product page
- Downloads - Software Updates
We regularly release app updates to keep our software up to date, including bug fixes and new features.
Keep in mind that installing and updating SPIKE App software requires administrator rights. App updates are performed as follows:
Windows and macOS
Users are directed to https://education.lego.com/downloads, from where they can download and install the new release. Windows users can also download the update from the Windows Store.
iOS, Android and ChromeOS
If users have enabled auto updates in their app store configuration, updates are downloaded and installed automatically. If not, they will be required to manually update their app from within the relevant store.
Updates to curriculum unit plan content can be carried out using the following methods:
- If enabled, users can trigger a unit plan update directly from the update notification within the app.
- Users can update the content of a unit plan from within the unit plan overview, if the “Update available” button is visible.
Notifications are a useful way of letting users know that an update is available or required. Enabled within the app settings page, notifications are sent when
- a critical bug fix or feature release is available (non-critical bug fixes will not trigger a notification);
- a content update to a downloaded unit plan is available; or
- a user is required to update the Hub, because the app and HubOS versions are not compatible with each other (this notification cannot be disabled).
How to update your SPIKE Essential Hub
After updating the LEGO® Education SPIKE App, you might be asked to update your Hub. Hub updates are critical to maintaining your SPIKE Essential hardware and ensuring that your students benefit from the latest SPIKE Essential features, improvements, and fixes.
To avoid class-time disruption, we highly recommend that app and hub updates are done at the same time and before class. To update your hubs, simply follow the in-app guidelines that will appear when an update is needed.
Below, you can see how to perform hub updates on different devices. Note that all updates require a USB cable and the process differs depending on the device you are using.
Windows & MAC
- Open the app. If you don’t have the app installed, use the online
updater at LEGOeducation.com/HubOS.
- Connect the Hub. Using the USB cable supplied with the SPIKE Essential Set, connect the Hub to your computer.
Note: If you connect the Hub to your computer via Bluetooth, you will be prompted to reconnect it using the USB cable in order to complete the update.
IOS & Android
Hub updates are not currently possible using an iPad. To update your Hub:
- Find a compatible device. Find a Windows, macOS or Chromebook device.
- Connect the Hub. Connect your Hub to the device using the USB cable supplied with the SPIKE Essential Set. Run the online updater.
- Install (if necessary) and open a Chrome Browser on the device and run the online updater at LEGOeducation.com/HubOS.
- Connect the Hub. Connect your Hub to the Chromebook using the USB cable supplied with the SPIKE Essential Set Run the online updater.
- Open a Chrome Browser and run the online updater at LEGOeducation.com/HubOS.