Make a CNC Drawing Machine
Design, build, and program a machine that draws a pattern, performs the task accurately, and repeats the task.
Think about these questions:
- What is the best way to attach a pencil or marker?
- Which type of motorized mechanism can move the pencil or marker in two dimensions?
- What design features will ensure the machine’s movements are accurate and repeatable?
Use typed notes, a handwritten lab notebook, sketches, photos, screenshots, or videos to document your design process. Make sure you explain:
- Any challenges you are facing.
- How you are working to overcome these challenges.
- What resources you need.
- Ways in which your classmates or teacher can help.
- Any early signs of success you are observing.
Communicate the results of your work by:
- Creating a video that demonstrates your design process starting with your initial ideas and ending with your completed project
- Creating a presentation that connects your projects with real-world applications of similar systems
Ask for feedback and conduct a self-assessment. Use the evaluation tools your teacher has provided.