Strike the Ball
- How are the ball games that you saw in the video different from others you've seen?
- What happens when two balls collide at different angles, and why does this happen?
- What did you notice about the collisions you saw in the video?
Set Up the Game Area
Build this game area using:
- 2 large blue plates
- 2 green frames
- 2 white plates
- 2 yellow balls
- Design a mechanism that can strike one ball against another to score.
- Your mechanism should include at least two moving parts.
- You can’t push the ball directly with your hand.
Come up with at least two ideas for how to move the ball (think back to the models you've built in other lessons).
- Use the bricks to help you brainstorm.
- Use the images in the front of the building instructions book for inspiration.
- Record your ideas and sketches on a piece of paper or in your science notebook.
Build and Test Your Ideas
- Try out your ideas and make improvements.
- Who will score first?
Go for the gold!
- Challenge a classmate to test your game.
What did you find out?
- Which forces did you observe?