Design Engineering Projects
LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3
Key Learning Values
- Understand and apply knowledge of STEM concepts
- Engage in the design cycle: innovate, construct solutions and troubleshoot problems
- Use digital tools to test and compare proposed solutions to an engineering design problem
Design Engineering ProjectsThe Design Engineering Projects allow students to design, build, and program robots to bring real-world scenarios to life. Using the Design Engineering Projects, educators can immerse their students in physical science, technology, and mathematics concepts. Students design, build, and test robots to complete a variety of tasks and challenges them to:
- Design and build an autonomous robot that will accomplish the lesson’s goal. Students will work to understand how to engineer an effective model
- Program their robot to achieve the goal. Students will modify and test the design and the code to make it smarter and able to react to its environment. Practice how to improve the code and design to perform complex tasks that work as a system
- Determine the most effective design and code for their robots to accomplish the goal and present their findings to their peers
Materials RequiredThe LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Design Engineering Projects are designed for use with the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Core Set (45544) and LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Software.
There are three selected Design Engineering Projects for the EV3 Programming app.
Where do I find the Curriculum?
Download the curriculum and software here.
If you are using the EV3 Programming App, then you can access the available Design Engineering Project Briefs here.
Where do I start?Select your Design Engineering Projects inside the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Software. The Teacher’s Guide is available at the end of the list of options in your EV3 desktop software. The Design Engineering Introduction PDF, also available in the EV3 desktop software, will provide you with an overview of the projects and support in getting started. In the Curriculum Grid PDF below, you will get a quick overview of key concepts within your national curriculum.