Product Resources & Support
LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3Go to product page
- Teacher Resources - NXT compatibility
LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3 NXT Compatibility
When developing LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3 there has been a strong focus on ensuring backwards compatibility to NXT, making it possible for users to utilise many NXT elements together with EV3.
Some of the main features:
- EV3 uses the same RJ12 connector cables as the NXT, so all NXT sensors and motors will work with the new EV3 platform.
- EV3 uses the same LEGO Technic building system as NXT so you can reuse all of your bricks and other elements.
- EV3 uses the same DC transformer as NXT.
- EV3 software can be used to program the NXT, however not all software features support NXT.
Can you use NXT parts with the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3?
The LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick uses the same LEGO Technic elements and RJ12 connector cables as the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education NXT Brick, so all your existing sensors, motors and building elements will work with the new platform. Please notice that the NXT rechargeable battery cannot be used together with the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick.
Can I connect my NXT Brick to the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick?
No. It is not possible to daisy-chain with the NXT Brick.
Can I reuse the rechargeable battery and charger?
No. You cannot reuse your battery, as the build interface has changed, but you can reuse your DC charger (8887 (older version) or 45517 (newer version)).
Can I programme the NXT Brick using LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Software?
You can programme your NXT Brick using the new LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Software. However, not all of the EV3 Software features are supported by the NXT Brick.
Can I programme the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick using NXT Software?
No. It is not possible to programme your LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick with the NXT Software.